Friday, July 24, 2009

[Linux] Flash Builder 4: Will Adobe Help Us?

The question that has been plaguing me for some time now is this: Will Adobe release Flash Builder 4 for Linux? I don't think I'm alone on this one. Most every linux-using Flash/Flex developer needs a development environment to use. And up to this point, there really isn't anything out there.

Sure, there's Flex Builder 3 for Linux, but it has extremely limited capabilities, and you have to hack it just to get it to work with Eclipse 3.4+. Did I mention that it won't install in a 64bit JVM? Yes, I was able to get it working, but it's a huge pain for something that shouldn't be. It's been a beta for nearly a year now, and with no real hope in sight. Since Adobe just released Windows and Mac beta editions of the new Flash Builder 4, what does it mean for us? Is there a plan out there for Adobe to save the day?

Yes, there is FDT. Enough said. But the full-flavored version of FDT is like $600+! I don't know about you guys, but I don't have that kind of money laying around. However, FDT IS DOING SOMETHING AWESOME and giving their best product away for FREE for open source project teams. I guess I just need to jump on it and get my secret projects (insert evil laugh) into the mainstream. Even so, MXML support is limited, and as far as I know, you can't visually create Flex applications like you can in Flash/Flex Builder.

So my statement is this: Help us help you Adobe. There ARE people out here that are waiting desperately for a Linux Flash/Flex IDE to come out. We DO have money and we're willing to spend it. Just please try and meet us halfway :)

If there were any other way, we'd do it. But there isn't. Wine is a long ways off from being able to virtualize a Windows JVM, so our only real option is to run it natively on Windows or Mac. Hear our cries, Adobe, we'd love to give you money for your product!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home